The aggregates industry's highest, most distinguished individual award.
In February of 1997, the aggregates industry lost a longtime friend with the passing of Barry K. Wendt of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Known for his outgoing, friendly disposition and spirited nature, he was a great friend and champion to the industry. He often gave of his own personal time to solve industry problems. Barry tirelessly devoted his energy to advance the industry’s causes. His friends and the industry remember him for his dedication, hard work, and personal integrity. Barry Wendt helped make the industry and the world a better place. As a lasting memorial to Barry, who exemplified commitment to family, career and the industry, NSSGA established an Annual Commitment Award to recognize an individual in the industry who is deserving of personal recognition for exhibiting the dedication exemplified by Barry Wendt, both in commitment to the industry and to the community in which they live. This is the highest and most distinguished individual award presented by the association. The Wendt Memorial Commitment Award is presented each year at NSSGA’s Annual Convention.
Nominations for the 2019 Barry. K. Wendt Commitment Award are due Jan. 7, 2019.
- 1998: Bernard L. Grove, Jr., Redland Genstar
- 1999: Roy F. Rumbaugh, McLanahan Corp.
- 2000: Richard E. Gordon, Aggregate Industries
- 2001: Members of the NAA-NSA Merger Steering Committee were selected, individually and collectively, as recipients and recognized at NSSGA’s First Annual Convention in San Diego: William H. Brown, Memphis Stone & Gravel Co.; Gregory J. Bush, Linwood Mining & Minerals Corp.; Brenton P. Cook, Aggregate Industries;Michael E. Hayes, Aggregate Industries Management; Kim W. Snyder, Eastern Industries, Inc; Mark S. Towe, Oldcastle, Inc., Materials Group.
- 2002: James G. (Jim) Topper, Nova Materials
- 2003: E. Mark Deister, Deister Machine Co., Inc.
- 2004: Charles S. Luck, III, Luck Stone Corporation
- 2005: Glenn L. Martin, Martin Stone Quarries, Inc.
- 2006: Paul C. Mellott, H. B. Mellott Estate Inc.
- 2007: Joseph Andrews, Jr., Luck Stone Corporation
- 2008: Ronald W. Kruse, National Lime & Stone Company
- 2009: Randy J. Kremer, Granite Construction, Inc.
- 2010: Richard J. Feltes, Lafarge
- 2011: Kelly F. Bailey, Vulcan Materials Company
- 2012: Tony Basolo, Dolese Bros. Co.
- 2013: Stephen P. Zelnak, Martin Marietta
- 2014: Donald M. James, Vulcan Materials Company
- 2015: Mike Stanczak, Lehigh Hanson
- 2016: Jerry Geraghty, Rogers Group, Inc.
- 2017: Doug Palmore, Luck Companies
- 2018: John Wall, Braen Stone
Nominate Your Candidate