|Position:||Director, Communications and Press Secretary|
|Description as of:||February 2020|
|Position Reports To:||Vice President, Communications|
The National Sand, Stone and Gravel Association (NSSGA) is the leading voice and advocate for
the aggregates industry. Our members – stone, sand and gravel producers and the equipment
manufacturers and service providers who support them – are responsible for the essential raw
materials found in every home, building, road, bridge and public works project and represent more
than 90 percent of the crushed stone and 70 percent of the sand and gravel produced annually in the
United States. In 2018, U.S. domestic production and use of construction aggregates amounted to 2.5
billion tons of crushed stone, sand and gravel–valued at $25.1 billion. The aggregates industry
employs approximately 100,000 highly-skilled men and women.
As Director, Communications and Press Secretary, you will be responsible for media relations activities in collaboration with the Vice President, Communications. Working closely with the Vice President, you will assist in crafting and producing effective communications products in support of the department’s integrated public policy efforts. You’ll maintain effective relationships with reporters, including trade and DC media who cover NSSGA priority issues and work in collaboration with other departments to provide communications support toward the association’s advocacy objectives.
Key Position Responsibilities
• Utilize strong writing skills and communications judgment to produce high-quality communications materials that convey the position of the association.
• Draft and contribute to issue-oriented communications plans.
• Work closely with the Vice President to seek out media opportunities, address incoming media requests, and provide communications support in those efforts.
• Develop and maintain effective relationships with members of the media, particularly trade publications and DC media.
• Manage projects and responsibility areas to plan, coordinate and produce valuable content for our members.
• Manage responsibility for other communications areas, such as our bi-monthly magazine and our annual Awards of Excellence program.
• Other relevant duties as assigned.
Education: Minimum Bachelor’s degree in English, political science, or related field of study.
• 5+ years experience in media relations, including significant experience as spokesperson and staffing media responses and interview requests
• Proven experience managing projects and media campaigns
• Experience working in a communications office associated with a political, government or trade association experience preferred
• Must have experience working with members of the news media and ability to develop reporter relationships
• Demonstrated experience in advocacy communications for public policy efforts
Education/advanced degrees will be considered in lieu of years of work experience.
• High quality written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational and project management abilities
• Commitment to deliver results and be accountable
• Ability to communicate effectively with fellow staffers and to members on work being performed, points where decisions are needed, and outstanding items to complete
• Proven team player and ability to collaborate with other teams and work independently
• Ability to work under deadline pressure while managing multiple tasks and meeting deadlines
• Familiarity with communications office functions and the tools required
Please provide resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Candidates should be prepared to produce work samples of prior achievements. Located in Alexandria, VA, NSSGA provides a supportive work environment, excellent benefits and competitive compensation.
NSSGA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.