Infrastructure Week is a national week of education and advocacy that brings together Americans around one message: It’s #TimeToBuild. From May 15-19, NSSGA will highlight the state of our nation’s infrastructure and encourage policymakers to invest in the projects, technologies, and policies necessary to make America competitive, prosperous and safe.
The state of our infrastructure is dire:
- Our nation’s infrastructure is the foundation of our jobs, quality of life and economic competitiveness, yet this system has been underfunded and poorly maintained for decades.
- According to the American Society of Civil Engineers, almost four in 10 of America’s 614,387 bridges are over 50 years old.
- Traffic delays on outdated and congested roads cost American businesses over $45 billion each year, according to the Partnership for America’s Economic Expressway.
- In one year, trucks spend more than 728 million hours in traffic according to research by the American Transportation Research Institute.
- ^That’s a sap of time and fuel equal to 264,781 trucks sitting idly for an entire working year.
Transportation investment would yield dividends for our economy:
- Every $1 spent on building the interstate system yielded $6 in economic activity.
- Easing America’s top 30 bottlenecks can save 35 million gallons of fuel annually.
The aggregates industry is a key player in our economy and efforts to rebuild our infrastructure:
- According to research by the Phoenix Center for Advanced Legal and Economic Public Policy Studies, every job created in a quarry adds nearly five additional jobs in related industries.
- The aggregate industry generates $27 billion in annual sales, supports $122 billion in national sales in affiliated industries, and helps support the employment of hundreds of thousands of workers.
1. Write a letter.
We need Congress and the Administration to work together to create and pass a long-term infrastructure investment plan. Take a moment to write to your Member of Congress to show your support for improving America’s infrastructure. Just type in your address, and we’ll provide your representative’s email plus a suggested letter that you can use or edit.
2. Make a phone call
Call the office of your member of Congress and ask them to support infrastructure funding. Simply dial 1-866-255-3207 to connect to the Congressional switchboard. Then, follow this script:
“Hi, my name is ____. I’m a constituent from (hometown). I am calling today to express my support for meaningful infrastructure investment. I am hoping that the [member of congress/senator] will push for long-term investments that transform our transportation system and improve critical infrastructure such as airports, water and sewer systems. Thank you for your time.”
3. Show your support on social media.
Help spread the word about the need to fix our infrastructure by letting your followers and fans know that it’s #TimeToBuild. Be sure to include a personal message – what would infrastructure investment mean to you, your family, or your business?
4. Share a graphic.
Infrastructure Week has graphics with impactful stats on the state of our infrastructure. Share with your community today to show your support.
5. Let NSSGA know what you’re up to!
Help us help YOU spread the word on your efforts during this exciting week. Contact NSSGA Communications Director Patrick Dunne (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’d like us to highlight your outreach efforts in our Digital Aggregate blog or in Stone, Sand and Gravel REVIEW magazine.