AGG1 Academy Frequently Asked Questions

What is the AGG1 Academy?

AGG1 Academy is the education program associated with the AGG1 Academy & Expo. AGG1 Academy consists of roughly 50 education sessions covering nearly aspect of the aggregates industry.

When is the 2018 AGG1 Academy?

The 2018 AGG1 Academy & Expo will be March 6-8, at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas. AGG1 Academy sessions take place during the following time blocks:

Tuesday & Wednesday: 7:30-9 a.m., 9:30-11 a.m., and 2-3:30 p.m.

Thursday: 7:30-9 a.m. and 9:30-11 a.m.

What kinds of topics are you looking for?

AGG1 Academy topics cover anything having to do with the aggregates industry, including (but not limited to): plant operations & production, environment, safety & health, community relations, business management, automation & technology, aggregates research, quality control, crushing, screening, washing, conveying, equipment and fleet management, maintenance, human resources, leadership development, sales & marketing, geology, engineering, drilling and blasting, dredging, mine planning, exploration, industry trends and more. Topics range from 101-level basics to advanced technical topics.

What is the class format?

Classes are offered in 90 minute blocks, and the format/flow of the class can vary, including lecture style, panel discussions, case studies, and roundtables. Creative and interactive session formats are encouraged!

How do I submit a topic idea for consideration?

Fill out the simple 2018 AGG1 Academy Call for Proposals form online by July 14, 2017.

Are there any eligibility requirements for presenting a class at the 2018 AGG1 Academy?

Yes. All presenters must be NSSGA members in good standing. If you’re not a member yet, please click here to learn about membership.

I’m a Manufacturers & Services Division member. Can I still submit a topic proposal?

Yes, all NSSGA members may submit a topic proposal. M&S members are strongly encouraged to include a producer member, customer or client in their speaking panel. Presentations given by M&S members must be product-neutral and cannot be a sales pitch for a particular piece of equipment, product or service.

Who decides which classes get picked for the 2016 AGG1 Academy?

NSSGA’s Meetings & Education Committee selects the final program. Careful consideration is given to ensure that the final program is well-balanced and presents topics that are timely and relevant to today’s aggregates industry. Because of the high volume of topic proposals received, NSSGA is unable to include all of the high-quality proposals we receive in the final program. If your topic isn’t chosen for this year, please consider submitting again for the next show, or ask about presenting your topic as an AGG1 Online Webinar. 

What happens once I submit a topic proposal?

After the topic proposal deadline (July 14, 2017) the Meetings & Education Committee will meet to discuss the topics and select the final program. All individuals who submitted a proposal will be notified of their proposal’s status by Aug. 30, 2017.

It seems like a lot of topics are repeats from last year. Is there any room for new topics?

Yes! Only about 10% of the AGG1 Academy topics are repeated from year to year, and these are usually the “101-level” topics that draw large crowds eager to learn about aggregate processing basics. That leaves 90% of the program for brand-new sessions. New, innovative sessions are welcomed and encouraged.